A Crash Course
(use arrow keys or PgUp/PgDown to move slides)
- Both players have 20 life.
- Both players have 60 card decks.
- Both players draw 7 cards.
Note: You can mulligan if your opening hand is garbage.
- Opponent has life <= 0.
- Opponent cannot draw a card when required.
Players take turns back and forth until someone wins.
Areas of Play
- The Stack - sort of
The Golden Rule
The cards are always right.
If the cards contradict the rules in any way, the cards take precedence.
Hack the game!
Cards can have more than one color.
Color is indicated by border and cost.
Lands and artifacts are considered colorless.
Everything but land is a spell.
Anything that stays on the battlefield is a permanent.
Land is a persistent resource used to cast (pay for) spells.
You may only play one land per turn.
- Untap - Reset renewable resources
- Upkeep - Probably a nop, or pay for things
- First Main Phase - Play a land if possible
- Optional Combat
- Second Main Phase - Play post-combat spells if desired
- Discard - Discard until 7 or fewer cards are in your hand
Combat: How does it work?
- Declare attackers
- Opponent declares blockers
- Deal combat damage
Not so bad, right?
Popular Strategies/Deck Archetypes
The Tribal Deck (Goblins, Vampires, etc)
The Weenie/Sligh Deck (Cheap spells, swarm tactics)
The Control Deck
The Creature Control Deck
The Combo Deck
The Misery Deck (Mill, Lifegain, Stasis, etc)
Let's do this!!!